We at Peterborough Musicfest have been watching the evolution of the COVID-19 situation very closely. We have seen several respected organizations, festivals, and individual artists cancel their events, festivals, concerts, and conferences due to concerns about the virus.
We want to assure you that Peterborough Musicfest is committed to making the best informed decision we can regarding the staging of our summer concert series, hence we will follow the recommendations of public health experts.
At this time, Peterborough and Ontario public health officials have advised that the risk of contracting COVID-19 remains low, therefore, as of March 12, Peterborough Musicfest is continuing to prepare for its 34th season, which will run every Wednesday and Saturday evening from June 27 to August 22, 2020.
The current situation is described below:
- Status of Cases in Ontario: (as of March 10, 2020) Many people are being tested out of an abundance of caution, but the number of confirmed positive cases in Ontario remains low.
- Globally, most people have become infected with this virus through travel in affected areas or through close or household contact with someone who had the virus. Public health officials are reiterating that most of the infections have resulted in mild illness.
Our number one priority is the health and well-being of our artists, fans, and employees. Accordingly, we are currently reviewing our health and safety protocols to ensure we are adopting best practices. We are in contact with Peterborough Public Health and will continue to monitor their daily updates, which can be found here.
We all have a role to play to reduce the risk of COVID-19 virus transmission. Coronaviruses are spread mainly from person to person through close contact. Taking these steps will reduce exposure to the virus and protect your health:
- wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- sneeze and cough into your sleeve
- avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- avoid contact with people who are sick
- stay home if you are sick
For additional COVID-19 facts, tips and prevention resources, refer to Peterborough Public Health, Ontario Ministry of Health and Public Health Agency of Canada.
For more information, contact:
Marketing and Communications Specialist